Feb 8, 2012

Spiced Coconut Carrot Muffins

I sure am glad that Jesus loves the little ones....


...like her, her, her.

Because I wasn't feeling it this morning. Not after she got me up twice last night. And especially not after she peed on my lap while we were waiting for the tub to fill up. And while in the midst of typing this very paragraph I was interpreted by the sound of ripping. That is rarely a good sound. She was ripping up the contact cards in my Rolodex.

Outrageousness.

What's a mother to do?



Make these. That's what.  And solace your sorrows by stuffing your face with absolute yumminess.  Spell-check is protesting that yumminess is not a word.  I defy spell-check.  It is so a word.

The spice in these muffins remind me a little of Amish Friendship bread, but kinda like a faint memory, not very distinct.  The carrots are like nice background music with a melody of coconut.  Oh, nothing like a titch of coconut to cheer my day...

I altered this recipe to suit my taste and what I had on hand.  The presence of sourdough starter in my home is another story for another day, but if you don't have it, I'm pretty confident you could just leave it out or follow something like this for a guideline.

And if it's been an especially tough day, I would highly recommend a little cream cheese frosting to spread on these beauties. And a cup of tea, like Constant Comment.

Spiced Coconut Carrot Muffins
Makes 24-26 muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cup sourdough starter, unfed from the refrigerator
3 eggs
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tsp. coconut extract
2-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Directions:  Combine oil and sugar; stir in starter.  Mix in eggs. Fold in carrots, coconut, and coconut extract.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.  Add dry ingredients to the wet, stirring just to combine.  Spoon batter into 24 lined muffin cups.  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.


4 lovely comments:

April said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know...she looks pretty innocent to me with those big eyes!!

Kari said... Best Blogger Tips

I ABSOLUTELY know how you feel! My sister bought my youngest a play cleaning cart last Christmas and I came out of the computer room yesterday to find my son "mopping" the floor--with water--that he had filled in the little play mop bucket--without my knowing it. Water was everywhere!! Mischief must have been in the air yesterday...These little muffins look delicious enough to forget about my sopping floors!

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

She uses them to utmost advantage too!

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, I'm so sorry, Kari! It was a full moon, so maybe it was in the air! :) Your Michael seems like an endless source of energy. I loved your post about the sprouts. Grace would love that, so I'll have to try it!