Apr 3, 2012

No Shampoo Saga {Part 2}

So for all of you on the edge of your seats, here's the rest of the story about my 'no shampoo' experience.  If you didn't catch the first post, you can should read all about the whys and wherefores first.

Sometime around the middle of week 5, my hair started feeling very wonky.  Have you ever forgotten to wash the shampoo or conditioner out of your hair?  That's how it felt.  I couldn't even run my fingers through it.  The first time it happened, I actually thought that I had forgotten to rinse out the baking soda, so I hopped back in the shower and re-washed it.  Alas.  Still nasty-o.

After some pondering, I then theorized that I had gotten the ratio wrong in the baking soda solution, so I threw out the batch and remade it, paying very close attention to the measurements.  Re-wash that evening.  Slightly better.  The next day I washed it again because the heavy, dirty feeling was getting to me.  It got worse.  Shiver. Not cool at all.

For the sake of my word, (I mean, I had just said I was gonna stick it out 2 months, right?) I endured 3 more days of yuckiness. On Saturday night, I couldn't take it anymore.  I washed it with Dove shampoo.  Ahhh. More like normal.

My final analysis:  On a positive note, prior to week five, my hair did seem to be adjusting nicely to a two washes/week schedule.  Having gone back to regular shampoo, I realize now that my hair also had developed some incredible volume comparatively speaking.  It did hold curl better.  On the negative side, the baking soda seemed to dry out my ends, but using apple cider vinegar seemed to only make my hair greasy.  I also could not go to sleep/lay on my hair while it was wet or it would look greasy.  My hair had no shine. It tended to be dull and a bit lifeless.  Not exactly the look I'd like to sport.  And finally, the horror of week 5 nailed the coffin shut on my no shampoo experience.

But hey, who am I to say it won't work for you?  My current hair care regimen: Free or super cheap shampoo/conditioner purchased by combining a sale and coupons.  I wash using just a dime-sized portion of shampoo, rinse and repeat.  Add a daub of conditioner to the ends and rinse out.  Sha-zam.



0 lovely comments: