Jul 20, 2010

Chocolate Muffins - Can you find the hidden veggie?



OK, so my dear husband really is a great eater, always eats what I fix without a complaint, but there are certain veggies that he would just as soon as do without.  Like zucchini.  And green beans.

However, when someone offers me their garden bounty, I just can't say no to free, fresh, and local.  Especially when it comes with their two favorite family recipes.  Like the yummy chocolate zucchini bread/muffin recipe I just tried this morning.

Seriously, it doesn't even have a slight zucchini taste.  It's all chocolate, baby!


Mix the wet ingredients.


Mix the dry ingredients.


Add the wet to the dry.


Mix and add the chocolate chips.


Spray and flour your bread pans/muffin tins or use muffin cups  For muffins, fill tins 3/4 full.


All ready for the freezer and weekday breakfasts!

Handy hint:  These muffins are rather aromatic during baking.  They do NOT taste the same as they smell.  Allow the house to air out before your veggie-detester comes home, so you don't have to make a full disclosure of the ingredients present in these moist little delectables.



Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Ingredients:
2-1/3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 cups grated zucchini
3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts, optional

Directions:
Combine dry ingredients including nuts, if desired.  In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, oil, vanilla and zucchini; then add to the dry ingredients and mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Pour into 24 muffin cups or 2 medium-sized, greased and floured loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes for muffins or 50-55 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean) for bread.  This recipe will also make 8 mini-loaves (bake 30 minutes.)

Note: The friends who shared this recipe attest that spraying the pans only doesn't work.  Use spray and flour.  I found the easiest way to do this was to spray each cup, then drop a few sprinkles of flour in each one.  I then knocked the tin on the edge of the counter on all sides until the cup is evenly coated with flour.  Or you could take the slacker's way and use muffin paper cups! :p



11 lovely comments:

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said... Best Blogger Tips

My husband cannot stand zucchini, or anything in the squash family for that matter. But, I have a chocolate zucchini cake recipe (similar to these muffins) that he'll gobble up. Love it!

I also have a daughter that won't touch oatmeal with a ten foot pole, but she'll eat my Oatmeal Chocolate Cake. Chocolate is the wonder ingredient. :)

Crystal @ A Well-Feathered Nest said... Best Blogger Tips

I am always intrigued when I see these. I think I have to try the recipe soon!

Inspired2cook said... Best Blogger Tips

I love secret ingredient recipes! The muffins look really good!!
http://www.inspired2cook.com/

Debbie said... Best Blogger Tips

These look delicious, I'm sure they're amazing!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said... Best Blogger Tips

Great recipe!! I tried making zucchini bread for the first time recently, and we loved it. I will definitely give this recipe a go. :) Visiting from Kimba's DIY Day. My post is from Monday, #64. :)

Melinda said... Best Blogger Tips

Chocolate and vegetables - what's not to love! I appreciate the handy hint as I have a picky eater here too!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi! I saw this picture over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. This looks wonderful! I am going to have to make this.

Love your blog. Great stuff!

Ott, A. said... Best Blogger Tips

Just stopping by from the Tuesday recipe parties. Great Cooks must think alike becasue I baked a very similar recipe but in a cake form. My husband loves it!!!
a Latte with Ott, A

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Chocolate is always a great way to hide the veggies! Thanks for sharing!

gen@scarletacres said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks so good, I want one NOW! So glad you shared at Tasty Tuesday, I can't wait to try the recipe.

Jacqueline said... Best Blogger Tips

Hurray, I just picked my first zucchini and Was wondering what to make with it, since it was a little big - left it 5 days too long. these look lucious and your pictures are so mouthwatering. Yum.