Jun 3, 2011

$3 Wooden Chair Makeover

 Last fall, while thrifting, I came across this chair for $3... three dollars.... 3 BUCKS!  I couldn't pass it up.  Reluctantly, Ben agreed to let me buy it, but he thought it was another hare-brained idea of mine.  Admittedly, I have had a few.  
All winter, Ben kept reminding me about the "piece of junk chair" sitting in his garage.  So as soon as we were blessed with a 50-degree day, I got to work.
 OK, actually it was $2.99.
 First, I removed the old caning, which was sagging and torn at one corner.  This was the hardest part of the entire project.  I used my screwdriver to pry the caning away from the frame.
 After an hour or so of work, it was all clean.  I then measured the seat base.  Ben cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to my seat dimensions to cover the gaping hole and provide a base for the cushion.
I then spray-painted a coat of primer and numerous coats of black.  The wood was old and dry, so it took a number of coats (probably 3 or 4) before it was evenly and thoroughly covered.  I bought the cheap flat black  spray paint at Home Depot for $.99 each, and the primer we already had.
 I bought this foam sheet at Jo-Ann's with a 40% off coupon.  I think I paid about $3.50.  Using my wood base as a guide, I cut the foam to size.  I also beveled the edge of the foam.
 I bought this snow cover blanket from the clearance section for $2.97.  It is 100% polyester, which is incidentally, the same as quilt batting, only gads cheaper.  The only difference that I can tell is that the snow blanket has little sparkles weaved into the material.  I only used about 1/5 of the package.
 Here is a side-by-side of the snow blanket (left) and low-loft quilt batting (right).  The batting was thinner, but otherwise identical.
 Layering my fabric face down, then two sheets of snow/batting, beveled foam, wooden base, I pulled it tightly to the back and stapled it down using a staple gun.
 I turned it over after a few anchoring staples to make sure the fabric was positioned squarely.  This upholstery fabric was also a clearance bin find at Jo-Ann's for $4.50.  I used about half of it for this project.
 To finish the corners, I made a pleat by pinching the excess fabric down in the middle.  I stapled the middle down first, then crossed each side over the middle, pulling it as tight as possible before stapling.  I kept pulling it tight and stapling down on the bottom side until it was uniformly taut.
Ben helped me anchor the seat to the chair frame with L-brackets.  We only used four, but it seems plenty secure.

 I love how well it matches the piano stand Ben made for me last year.
Another benefit is that I don't have to drag a chair from our kitchen table in order to practice, and we now have enough chairs to accommodate two guests for dinner!
Total Project Cost: approximately $15

I'm linking up to Weekend Wrap Up Party and Beneath My Heart.

8 lovely comments:

The Fifth Street Mama said... Best Blogger Tips

So cute! What a great improvement!

Sharon said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVE this! I'm very interested in the process of remaking old furniture. Thanks for the ideas AND the inspiration. ;-)

loves2spin said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great project! If the fabric ever becomes worn or stained, it will be a simple matter to replace it too. Lovely!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

that is a great chair! congrats on a job well done :)

Penny said... Best Blogger Tips

Great job, April!! Looks really nice.:o)

Mindie Hilton said... Best Blogger Tips

great redo

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.


Come strut your stuff.

Joye Gray said... Best Blogger Tips


Home Stars said... Best Blogger Tips

beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Table & Chairs
Table And Chairs For Sale
Furniture Stores Denver CO
Glass Kitchen Table Sets