Jun 3, 2011

$3 Wooden Chair Makeover

 Last fall, while thrifting, I came across this chair for $3... three dollars.... 3 BUCKS!  I couldn't pass it up.  Reluctantly, Ben agreed to let me buy it, but he thought it was another hare-brained idea of mine.  Admittedly, I have had a few.  
All winter, Ben kept reminding me about the "piece of junk chair" sitting in his garage.  So as soon as we were blessed with a 50-degree day, I got to work.
 OK, actually it was $2.99.
 First, I removed the old caning, which was sagging and torn at one corner.  This was the hardest part of the entire project.  I used my screwdriver to pry the caning away from the frame.
 After an hour or so of work, it was all clean.  I then measured the seat base.  Ben cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to my seat dimensions to cover the gaping hole and provide a base for the cushion.
I then spray-painted a coat of primer and numerous coats of black.  The wood was old and dry, so it took a number of coats (probably 3 or 4) before it was evenly and thoroughly covered.  I bought the cheap flat black  spray paint at Home Depot for $.99 each, and the primer we already had.
 I bought this foam sheet at Jo-Ann's with a 40% off coupon.  I think I paid about $3.50.  Using my wood base as a guide, I cut the foam to size.  I also beveled the edge of the foam.
 I bought this snow cover blanket from the clearance section for $2.97.  It is 100% polyester, which is incidentally, the same as quilt batting, only gads cheaper.  The only difference that I can tell is that the snow blanket has little sparkles weaved into the material.  I only used about 1/5 of the package.
 Here is a side-by-side of the snow blanket (left) and low-loft quilt batting (right).  The batting was thinner, but otherwise identical.
 Layering my fabric face down, then two sheets of snow/batting, beveled foam, wooden base, I pulled it tightly to the back and stapled it down using a staple gun.
 I turned it over after a few anchoring staples to make sure the fabric was positioned squarely.  This upholstery fabric was also a clearance bin find at Jo-Ann's for $4.50.  I used about half of it for this project.
 To finish the corners, I made a pleat by pinching the excess fabric down in the middle.  I stapled the middle down first, then crossed each side over the middle, pulling it as tight as possible before stapling.  I kept pulling it tight and stapling down on the bottom side until it was uniformly taut.
Ben helped me anchor the seat to the chair frame with L-brackets.  We only used four, but it seems plenty secure.

 I love how well it matches the piano stand Ben made for me last year.
Another benefit is that I don't have to drag a chair from our kitchen table in order to practice, and we now have enough chairs to accommodate two guests for dinner!
Total Project Cost: approximately $15

I'm linking up to Weekend Wrap Up Party and Beneath My Heart.

5 lovely comments:

Goat Gal said... Best Blogger Tips

So cute! What a great improvement!

Sharon Diedrich said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVE this! I'm very interested in the process of remaking old furniture. Thanks for the ideas AND the inspiration. ;-)

loves2spin said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great project! If the fabric ever becomes worn or stained, it will be a simple matter to replace it too. Lovely!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

that is a great chair! congrats on a job well done :)

Penny said... Best Blogger Tips

Great job, April!! Looks really nice.:o)