Jul 27, 2012

Big Batch Blueberry Muffins {Fill Your Freezer!}

If you pack breakfasts for children or a spouse, or your family is frequently on the go, then you're gonna love this mega-batch muffin recipe!  I have been packing my husband's breakfast and lunch for 7 years now, and honestly, I like it no more now than I did 7 years ago.  I have, however, learned a few tricks and tips to make the meal assembly a little snappier.  One of those tricks is freezing big batches of muffins for breakfast. I then bag them by twos in sandwich bags and store them all in large gallon size Ziploc bags in the freezer.
The thing that I love most about this recipe is that almost all of the ingredient's measurements are in full cups and teaspoons, so just a couple utensils gets used for the entire recipe!


For about the first 4 years of our marriage, Ben took a package of  Pop-tarts for breakfast every weekday.   After a series of intense number crunching, I deduced that he could eat a more healthful (and tastier, in my opinion) breakfast and I could save a sizable bit of change by baking muffins for him to take instead.  So over the past three years I have done a LOT of baking, to the tune of about 1500 muffins!

Blueberry muffins are awesome, but unless you buy blueberries in season, they are too pricey.  My strategy:  Aldi has a $.99 cent/pint sale every July.  I buy a bunch, like 15-20 pints, then pour them straight from the pint into a resealable sandwich bag.  I freeze them, then throw the sandwich bags into gallon-size freezer bags for manageability.  When I want to make a batch, I pull them out, rinse them clean in cold water in a colander, and toss them still frozen into my muffin batter.

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.


Combine the oil, milk, and beaten eggs in a separate bowl.

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened and batter is still lumpy.  Gently fold in the blueberries.

Spoon into muffin cups until about three-quarters full.  Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.


Big Batch Blueberry Muffins
Makes 42-48 muffins

Ingredients:
7 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup baking powder (or 12 teaspoons!)
2 teaspoons salt
4 beaten eggs
3 cups milk
1 cup oil
4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions: 
Line muffin tins with baking cups.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In a medium size bowl, beat eggs.  Add milk and oil to beaten eggs, and stir to combine.  Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir just until moistened.  Gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon batter into lined muffin cups until 3/4 full.  Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until edges are golden.  Remove from oven and let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from tins.

Real Deal: about $5.10 for the entire batch or approximately $.11 per muffin (based on 48 muffins)

10 lovely comments:

Rebecca said... Best Blogger Tips

You are so awesome.

I am dead serious.

valerieschnarr said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks so awesome thanks for sharing April, but, I dont know if I can get blueberries at that price now

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

hi i was wondering if i could use chocolate chips instead of blueberries?

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

@Dana Shadeed absolutely! It will probably be just a little less moist, so I might add a tbsp. of sour cream or applesauce or something to add a little moisture.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I made these today - they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe. My kids are going to be set with breakfast foods when school starts. :)

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

@Briana Monaco So glad that you liked them! Thanks for the feedback.

bhavesh said... Best Blogger Tips

These blueberry muffins are really great. I love them and i'll definately try this recipe this weekend. Also here i have an article on best blueberry muffins. Check out the article here: Best Blueberry Muffins

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, could I add bananas to this recipe?

Job Pedro said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.I was positive to the Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw testimony about DR Ebhota online on how he cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email: (drebhotasoltion@gmail.com) You can contact him on WhatsApp +2348089535482 // https://drebhotasolution.wixsite.com/drebhotaherbalhome He also have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness (1) HERPES,
(2) DIABETES,
(3) HIV&AIDS,
(4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
(5) HEPATITIS B,
(6) IMPOTENCE,
(7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
(8) DIARRHEA
(9) ASTHMA..

Maxpine said... Best Blogger Tips

while reading your blog I feel those muffins make my mouth water. u have a wonderful collection of making alluring muffin recipes. and your muffins need an eye-catching box. we provide muffin boxes wholesale with elegant design and top quality