In my continuing effort to provide more nutritious, but still tasty breakfasts for Ben, I concocted this yummy muffin from a dressed-down version on AllRecipes. Ben said, "Yeah, I thought those were good." That is a real compliment coming from him, and I think it would be a first on such a healthy recipe.
Don't you just love those muffin cups? They are the new Stay-brite Reynolds baking cups. They are ridiculously expensive, ($2.49 for 36) but I had a coupon, so I tried them out.
Berry Oat Wheat Applesauce Muffins
1 cup oats, rolled or quick
1 cup buttermilk (you can sub regular milk with a Tbsp. of vinegar or lemon juice)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1 cup frozen blueberries
1. Combine oats and buttermilk in a small bowl and soak for 2 hours. (This provides a finer textured muffin by breaking down the oat grains.)
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line muffin pan.
3. Combine dry ingredients--whole wheat, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt--in a large bowl.
4. Stir in applesauce and egg until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
5. Pour in muffin cups until 2/3 full. Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Wheat Flour: $.18
Brown Sugar: $.29
Baking Powder: $.03
Baking Soda: $.01
12 Muffin Liners: $.37
Total Cost: $1.96 per batch or $.163 per muffin
This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Tastes, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table.