Jan 25, 2011

Shu-Fen's Fried Rice

If you read my Orange Chicken recipe, you may recall my deep, abiding love for Chinese food.  A Chinese lady in our church makes the most phenomenal fried rice, and last year she showed the ladies in a ladies' meeting how to make it.  I take liberties with her recipe, as I don't often have everything that she calls for in the original.  The real essentials are rice (duh!), soy sauce, cooking oil, and eggs.

 
Ingredients
3-1/2 cups dry rice (jasmine rice is best!)
3 small carrots, diced, boiled till tender (throw them in with the rice while it's cooking)
2 heads broccoli (use some of the stem; peel first for tenderness)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 medium green pepper, cut into small chunks
7 eggs, seasoned with salt and pepper, scrambled
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 medium regular onion, chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped finely
1/2 lb. ham, diced
Soy sauce
Sesame oil, optional


  • Cook the rice as directed on the package.  While rice (and carrots) is cooking, boil or stir-fry the broccoli, sliced mushrooms and green peppers for about 3 minutes until crisp-tender.  Set aside on plate.
  • Scramble eggs in wok or large sauce pan. Set aside on plate.
  • In wok or large sauce pan, saute the chicken chunks and regular onion together with soy sauce and pepper until chicken is cooked through. Set aside on plate.
  • Heat pan/wok to medium-high heat.  Add a little cooking oil and the cooked rice.  Add dashes of soy sauce, sesame oil, and pepper as you stir fry the rice. The sesame oil is really just a flavor/aroma addition, so no need to douse the rice with this.  Keep adding soy sauce until the rice is a light brown color.  

  • After rice is hot, add broccoli, mushroom, pepper mix, scrambled eggs, chicken-onion mix, green onions and ham to the wok.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir fry until hot.


 I was very nice and shared this with my family one night, but I ate every bit of the leftovers by myself over the next 3 days.  Yum-Yum.




2 lovely comments:

The Hills said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing! I've never made fried rice before, I'll have to bookmark this to come back later and try it out!

Jennifer said... Best Blogger Tips

I love fried rice but I've never attempted to make it. You make it look pretty easy so I may just have to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.
And thanks for stopping by to check out my cinnamon roll pancakes.
Jenn