Mar 30, 2011

Spoonful of Sugar...Not Just for Mary Poppins

Hiccups...or is it hiccoughs?  Annoying in my opinion, as they tend to catch me off guard, mid-sentence, and are obnoxiously loud.  Everyone has heard the usual remedies of drinking a glass of water with a spoon in it, standing on your head,  swallowing a mouthful of air, yada, yada.
Seriously. Two remedies that work.  Every time.  At least for me...

For a sugar high, a spoonful of sugar, swallowed at once.

or 

For a protein fix, a spoonful of peanut butter, swallowed at once.

I've used the sugar method for years without fail, but just recently, some friends told me about the peanut butter method, which I just recently tried to immediate success!

5 lovely comments:

Emily T. Thomas said... Best Blogger Tips

I have an 11 year old who constantly drink water backwards to get rid of his hiccups. Can't wait to tell him about a remedy!
Thanks!
LIB
http://bit.ly/gHb7e0

Bitterroot Mama said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never tried this method. My biology teacher in high school said to swallow water a certain number of times (12, 13, 14?) without breathing. I usually try this and hold my nose and it works. I'll try this first next time though.

Penny said... Best Blogger Tips

Sounds interesting!:o)

Tatum said... Best Blogger Tips

I have to remember these tips! So cool! I'm just checking in to see if you got my message about the hat you won on my blog? I just need to know which hat you want and if you could measure your daughter's head from the top of her head to the middle of her ears and let me know, I'll have Swanky Stitches get started on it for you. Thanks April! You can email me at tatumcbaker at gmail dot com

Phyllis Blickensderfer said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know what works with children, but it has worked with most adults I know. Ask the hiccuper to describe all three meals from the day before. By the time they are finished, so are the hiccups.