Oct 7, 2011

Autumn Window Dressing

The girls and I went for a walk to enjoy the colorful foliage.  The weather the past few days has been bea-u-tiful!  We stopped and picked a few of the leaves and talked about the colors, shapes and types.
 Being impatient, I wanted to make a little craft right now with our leaves, so I put the leaf drying time on fast forward.  I laid the leaves on a paper towel in the microwave with another one on top.
I put a plate on top of the leaves to keep the leaves flat.  We microwaved them for a minute to a minute and 10 seconds.  (If you try it, you will hear a bit of popping as the water vaporizes out of the leaves.) The leaves will fill dry and hard after you let them sit for a minute or two and cool.

To give it a little durability, I coated each side of the leaves with Mod Podge and let it dry.  Mod Podge goes on white but dries clear and leaves a nice shine.
We used 6 lb. mono filament to hang them up and tied it to the leaves with a knot on the stems.  I just taped the fish line to the wood.


1 lovely comments: