Feb 15, 2012

Leftover Mashed Potato Chowder {cheesy veggie soup}

I fully intended to make this recipe this week, but then I realized I had a bunch of leftover mashed potatoes.  I wondered, "Hmmm...I wonder if I could use that as a substitute for a white sauce."


Well, I did, and it was a great way to use up a load of mashed potatoes.  I threw in some leftover crumbled sausage to satisfy the meat lover in our house.

Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
2 cups water or chicken broth
2-3 cups mashed potatoes
16 oz. frozen broccoli
4 oz. bulk sausage or bacon, crumbled
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions: Over medium heat, saute onions and garlic powder in melted butter.  Add shredded carrots and water and bring to a simmer.  Add mashed potatoes, stirring till potatoes are no longer clumped.  Use a potato masher to dissolve any clumps.  Add frozen broccoli and sausage and simmer 10 minutes.  Add salt and shredded cheese, stirring until cheese if fully incorporated. Serve with warm rolls.

0 lovely comments: