Jun 26, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade and Freeze Pops

The girls and I made these fun little freeze pops and strawberry lemonade last week.  It made a big batch of freeze pops which we are still happily slurping through.  The popsicles are tart, sweet and great for hot days. The leftover lemonade is just awesome for any day.

I made these using frozen lemonade concentrate, 16 oz. of frozen strawberries, 3 cups of water, and 1 cup of Diet 7Up (optional but adds lovely effervescence.)


First up, blend the strawberries with 2 cups of water. If your blender begins to cough, smoke, or otherwise indicate that it is unable to handle frozen strawberries, add the remaining cup of water.  Blend until smooth. Please note the quart canning jar that I'm using with my blender.  Canning jars (both quart and pint size) will fit most blenders, which is doubly awesome if you break your pitcher and you don't want to do extra dishes. Not that I broke my blender pitcher or anything like that...

If you want some strawberry chunks, take out 1/4 cup or so after the strawberries are chopped, but not smooth. I thought chunks added a little authenticity to our blend.




Mix the strawberries, lemonade concentrate, Diet 7Up, and remaining water in a pitcher.



Now the following step is optional, but if you have texture issues, you may want to do this.  If you let the mixture sit in your fridge for a couple of hours, the strawberry seeds will fall to the bottom of the pitcher, leaving a nearly seedless version.


Fill your freeze pop molds.  Go ahead and be jealous of my vintage Tupperware popsicle molds. I'll understand.



The remaining lemonade is irresistible.  It's a perfect slurry combo of sweet-tart, can't-stop-sipping yumminess.  I saved a pint or so for Ben, but by the time he got home, there was only about a cup left.  I really have no idea how that happened.



Freeze the molds for 4 or more hours.  Make your children's day and give them a popsicle before lunchtime.


Strawberry Lemonade Slurry and Freeze Pops
Makes about 2 quarts total

16 oz. frozen strawberries
12 oz. can of frozen lemonade concentrate
3 cups water
1 cup Diet 7Up or more water

In a blender, blend strawberries and water until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients in a pitcher and mix until combined.  Fill freeze pop mold and freeze for 4 or more hours.  

1 lovely comments:

Kari said... Best Blogger Tips

I AM jealous of your vintage Tupperware molds! My Mom used to make our family freezer pops when I was a child using those same kind of molds. And your recipe makes my mouth water. Definitely going to have to try this! Thanks!!