Sep 11, 2009

Warning: Gluttons Beware!

I wanted to share a recipe, not because it is frugal, not because it is healthy, but because it is just stinkin' good. That's all I can say for it. If you don't believe me, make it, and you'll see for yourself. It is called Gooey Butter Cake, and it lives up to its name.


Pictured below are the conspirators. If you turn up the volume on your computer, you might hear their devious laughter.



The plan is simple: mix a box cake mix with 1 egg and 1 stick of softened butter. You can do it. Go ahead. Mix it together well, and your result is a dry, but pliable conglomerate. Press it into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan, like so.


Next, in another bowl, beat the softened bar of cream cheese with 2 eggs until combined. Add a melted stick of butter. I told it was Gooey Butter Cake. Next add a teaspoon of vanilla and mix.


Lastly, add 16 oz. of powdered sugar, mixing in after each cup. It's starting to look heavenly, isn't it?

Now, when there are no more lumps, pour the cream cheese mixture over top of the cake mix. Smooth it out evenly over the cake.


See these cute little guys? I really like them. You know where the ones in my hand went? I'll give you one guess, and it wasn't on the cake. :)

Add a cup of chocolate chips, whatever size you choose, over the top of your cream cheese mixture.

Pop your pan into the pre-heated oven at 350 degrees and let that deliciousness cook for 40 or so minutes. I say, 40 minutes or so, because I just took mine out of the oven, and of course, it's a little browner (is that a word?) than I would have liked.

Ideally, it will be brown around the edges, but the center will still be nice, white, and jiggly. Let it sit until cool, and then put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. It is best consumed after it is allowed to completely cool. If not, it will be runny. But, believe me, it's delicious even when it's runny. Not that I would know...

0 lovely comments: