Dec 2, 2009

Baking Day Results!




Since I took down my fall decorations and replaced them with Christmas decorations, I had two pie pumpkins to cook up.  I had never done this before, but it wasn't too bad.  I ended up with 7 cups of pumpkin puree and more than a cup of roasted pumpkins seeds.



I also baked my $.40-per-pound-turkey and ended up with a lot of turkey meat!  I made five different turkey dishes, as well as seasoned turkey meat for tacos.  For the taco meat, I just used 4 cups of turkey, added about .5 cup of water or so, and 1 envelope of taco seasoning.  I simmered it till the liquid was evaporated.

I made Tex-Mex Turkey Soup, and it was A LOT OF SOUP!  It nearly filled my Dutch oven.  I know we will get at least 3 meals out of it, so I poured it in to 3 different dishes for freezing.

I also ended up with two meal-size portions of Turkey Broccoli Supreme, 1 meal of Secondhand Turkey, 1 turkey potpie, and 1 cheese quiche.  Quiche is really quite frugal.  I only use two eggs and a cup or two milk (depending on the pie pan) per quiche.  I'll put a recipe on here sometime.

So, all in all, I have 9 meals in the deep freezer!  I was pretty pleased with the day, and maybe next time, I'll be even more ambitious!

3 lovely comments:

Rosa B. said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you freeze your dishes in a special freezer dish, or just in a normal pan? How do you keep it from getting freezer burnt?

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

I really don't know what I'm doing, to be honest, but I just wrapped them in aluminum foil. Then I put them in gallon-size Ziploc bags, and forced out as much air as possible. From what I understand, it's the air that causes the freezer burn. I'll let you know if I experience freezer burn. I also plan to use them this month, so I don't anticipate a long freezing time.

Rosa B. said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks! ;)