I saw this idea a few months back on a friend's blog, The Tidy Nest, and I saved it in the recesses of my mind. I read the tutorial she suggested over at Beneath My Heart. I bought the supplies, but I never got around to doing the project. I needed a good reason to make them.
Last week, during my clutter-busting rampage, I found an old hymnbook of which the back cover was completely missing and the binding was nearly non-existent. I tore it apart page-by-page, and made my own prelude book categorized according to key signature. I had a small stack of pages left over that didn't fit in the prelude notebook, but I hated to throw them away. That's when I remembered this little coaster project.
I cut a few hymn pages into 3-3/4 inch squares. I tried cutting them square as well as slanted with the print, and I definitely preferred the angled look. I thought they still needed a little pizzazz, so I broke out the soft pastel chalks, and added a little "aging" to the edges of the paper.
Here's the four 4" tiles with their corresponding paper embellishments.
I coated the backside of each paper with Mod Podge, then quickly adhered it to the tile. I used an old paint brush because it's what I had, but I think one of those sponge brushes would be better.