May 22, 2010

Grocery Budget 05/16-05/22


Let me preface this post by announcing that I FAILED my 1-hour gestational diabetes test; my score was 138, and they consider the limit to be 134.  So while I don't believe that I have GD, yet I still have to take the 3-hour test.  I do think it was a bit of a wake-up call for me though, so I am committing to eating right for the remainder of this pregnancy.  For the past 5 days, I have done well, but it is hard.  I figure if I can stick to it for 3 weeks, it should be more habitual by then.  I am increasing my food budget to $50 to accommodate for the increase in more healthful foods.  Wish me success!
I just noticed how much junk I bought this week.  What can I say?  M&Ms make great gifts, I was getting complaints about no ice cream in the house, and I know Ben loves to have a frozen pizza now and then...

CVS: $7.15
M&Ms - $1.33 each
Toothpaste - $.75 moneymaker after ECB
Kotex - $1 moneymaker after ECB
Tums (ugh...heartburn) - clearanced to $1.32 each
Huggies - $3.49 each after ECB

Giant Eagle: $3.88
Milk - $2.38
Juice - $1.50

Giant Eagle: $27.41
Applesauce - $.83 each after q
Salad - $1 each
Pierogies - $1.67 each after q
Ice cream - FREE with the purchase of 3 pierogies
Michelina's - FREE after q
Mustard - $.33 after q
Air Crystals - $1 each after q & catalina
String cheese - $2 after q
Bananas - $.99
Ziploc containers - $.50 each after q and catalina
Totino's - $.83 each after q and catalina 

Giant Eagle: $7.35
Chicken - $5.69
Cottage cheese - $1.59 after q
Cucumber - $.79
Avocado - $1.50
Tomatoes - $1.97
Ziploc Containers - $.50 each after q & catalina
Milk - $2.38

Rite Aid - FREE with Single Check Rebate Money ($11.44)
M&Ms - $.67 each after sale and q
Huggies - $5 each after sale and q
(I also used a $5/$25 coupon, and I think somehow the manager might have taken extra money off for my M&Ms, so I think they might have actually been all free.)

Weekly Total: $45.79

3 lovely comments:

Vanessa said... Best Blogger Tips

I have no idea how I stumbled onto your blog, but it has been a real encouragement to me as a Christian and soon-to-be first time mother! I can tell you truly want to honor God, and love your husband! It's so sweet! Anyways... I wanted to say Hi and introduce myself! I do a lot of the same coupon type stuff that you do (in SC), but I've just recently gotten "heathly," so I thought that maybe you would like reading my blog, too! lol! You can find it at hartandvanessablog.blogspot.com! Hope we can be blog friends! :)

Debbie said... Best Blogger Tips

Good luck with the 3-hour test! I had to take it, because I was 2-points or so below the upper value and my doctor wanted to be sure. It was pretty bad! Make sure you have some sandwiches or snacks packed to eat as soon as the test is over. I almost passed out at mine! The drink is NASTY and I don't envy you! I would worry too much about GD - it's not like you're off the charts - but it's always good to double check.

Phyllis Blickensderfer said... Best Blogger Tips

Beloved Husband goes to an endocrinologist Wednesday as his type-2 Diabetes has too much fluctuation for his general practitioner. He has made some diet changes, but needs to make more. We'll see how it goes, and I will keep both of you in my prayers!