Aug 3, 2010

Wildfire Chopped Salad



I think this recipe seriously vies for the title of "World's Best Salad Ever." Period.

The recipe comes from an attempt to replicate the chopped salad at Wildfire Restaurant in Chicago.  My husband took me there the night we were engaged, and it's one of those "fancy pants" restaurants downtown.  I don't remember much about the place, as my attention was equally divided between the third finger of my left hand and the handsome man sitting across the table from me.

But for the record, I have eaten this salad now for five days in a row, and if I hadn't run out of ingredients, I would still be eating it.

And no, it's not a pregnancy craving. (At least I don't think so!) :)

The dressing is what makes it so....so delectable.  I would lick the plate if I weren't so refined. *sniff, sniff* I did go so far as to get a spoon and scoop out the last bit of dressing after I finished the salad!  What a hillbilly!

NOTE:  Only fix what you will eat in one sitting.  Age does not benefit this salad.   I personally keep all the ingredients separate and let individuals choose their servings. 

Here ya go 'cuz ya know ya want it:

(the PDF of the original recipe that feeds the entire Chinese army)

The Salad:
1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
1 to 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked but room temp.
1 scallion, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes or 1 regular tomato, chopped
tortilla strips (Texas Toast makes them or you can make your own by cutting and frying tortillas)

The Dressing:
1/2 bottle creamy French dressing
1-1/2 packet Zesty Italian seasoning (made by Good Seasoning)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. oregano
1/3 to 1/2 cup lime juice (to taste)


Special thanks to my dear friend, Sherry, for sharing this recipe with me.

14 lovely comments:

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips

What a gorgeous salad! It sounds amazing.

Alisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooh! That looks so good! We love salad at our house. I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks and sounds soooo good. We have a neighborhood potluck and BBQ this week. I think I will make this. Can't wait to try it. Chopped salads are my favorite and this sounds really unique.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

this looks yummy...i love chop salads...and i think i have all the ingredients in my fridge. found you through Tuesday's at the Table.

Melinda said... Best Blogger Tips

What a sweet memory - and what a gorgeous salad!! It's a good thing it makes a lot - some days it feels like I'm feeding the entire Mexican army! :)

cindy said... Best Blogger Tips

Im not much for salads but leaving out the tomatoes :)This sounds and looks delicious!!! Ill have to try this.

Emily {Frilly Details} said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooo, yummy!!! I'm the same way - when I find something that's delicious I eat it almost everyday! :)

Maritez Gonzales said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks so good! I love chopped salads!

New follower from Tuesdays at the Table :)

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

I will definitely be trying this! I am obsessed with that salad and we love going there to get it! Thanks so much!

Mrs. Murdock said... Best Blogger Tips

We just had our first time at Wild Fire on Friday! Loved--Loved this salad. I am going to have to try this recipe.

Phyllis Blickensderfer said... Best Blogger Tips

We're not supposed to slurp it up?? Oh, my. What changes are required in my life!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Just made this today! Incredible is all I have to say...I am going to make it again and again and again...:)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you mean just a 1/2 package or 1 and 1/2 packages of Italian?

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

@Patsy Anderson Hi Patsy! That is 1 and 1/2 packages of Italian. Sorry for the confusion!