Jan 14, 2011

Learning to Love

Being a mother is the best thing I have ever experienced.  But from the very beginning it is hard work.  And especially at this stage in their lives, it's pretty much taken for granted.  However, the rewards make it all worthwhile; they're rarely announced but eagerly anticipated, and they usually leave you gasping and delightedly amazed--like watching a stunning fireworks display on the 4th of July.


Monday night Grace and I were at our very common stations in the bathroom--me on the edge of the tub, Grace perched atop the toilet, legs dangling over the edge, toes barely touching the potty step stool.  We were shooting the breeze as we usually do while waiting for nature to take its course, and I asked her if she was momma's girl.  
She coyly replied with a twinkle in her eye, "No, Daddy's girl."  
I batted back with surprise in my voice, "You love Daddy?"  
She looked at me with seriousness in her voice and said, "I love you, Mommy."

I nearly crushed her with a big momma bear embrace.  It was the first time she had told me she loved me with out being prompted or parroting.  It was one of those moments that gets sweeter with age and makes motherhood the choicest career with the greatest benefits in the world. 

She has also taken to reading to Leah.


Leah delights in her sister's attention and loves being held, pushed, pulled, and generally manipulated by Grace at every opportunity.


Amazingly, every book Grace reads to Leah begins something like, "ONE DAY, sha shana sha she sho sha..." with unbridled enthusaism and emphasis on the ONE DAY.


Sissy eats it up... literally.



This post is linked to Finer Things Friday.

2 lovely comments:

Rebecca said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Leah's face in the 2nd picture. She looks SO interested! :)

Sharon Diedrich said... Best Blogger Tips

Very cute!