Mar 18, 2011

Book Review - Hinds' Feet on High Places

My entire life I have been plagued with fear--fear of the future, of death, of hurt, of loss, of suffering, of the unknown.  Even as a child, I remember making sure that I fell asleep on my back with both hands crossed on top of my heart.  In my child-like reasoning, I figured if somebody tried to stab me in the middle of the night, the knife would have to pass through my hands first before reaching my heart, and my life might be spared.   I silently cried myself to sleep at times, unsure that I was really saved.  As a young person, I was afraid that I would never get married, have a car accident; as an adult, those fears have matured to include my husband's safety and my children's protection and salvation.
Hinds' Feet on High Places and Mountains of Spices (Christian Classics for a New Generation)
I recently read a book that encouraged me to banish this personal specter that daily haunts me. Hinds' Feet on High Places is an allegory written by Hannah Hurnard; the main character, Much Afraid, is one with whom I can strongly identify.  The book details Much Afraid's journey from the Valley of Fear to the High Places of Love.  In a beautifully descriptive and yet clear manner, Miss Hurnard depicts the Savior's love and desire for fellowship with his redeemed while addressing the reality and hardships of Christian growth.  In my opinion, she addresses the two main desires of a woman--to be loved and to be secure (free from fear). Equally as edifying to me was the appendix that included the circumstances surrounding the inspiration for this book and Miss Hurnard's personal testimony.  If you still wait for a spouse or fear has a stronghold in your life, I would highly recommend Hinds' Feet on High Places.

2 lovely comments:

Rebecca said... Best Blogger Tips

I've really struggled with fear, too. The Lord has really been working on my heart about trusting in Him to overcome fear. I will have to read this book now. Thank you for sharing!

Andrea Speckhals said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay, sounds like I need to read this too...thanks for the suggestion!