Well, I tried another sneaky recipe on Ben! Much better success this time. I tried the Loaded Potato Soup from Skinny Taste. Ben ate it without a single word. I asked him ever-so-nonchalantly what he thought. "It was soup", with a shrug of his shoulders; he's not very fond of soup in general. I told him it was somewhat healthy. He wasn't that happy that I sneaked one past him, but he admitted he hadn't been able to tell! I think I'm just going to quit telling him unless he asks. Then we'll both be happy. Here's my adaptation of the recipe.
"The Works" Potato Soup
1 cup chopped carrots
1 head cauliflower
1-1/2 cups water (For flavor and nutrients, use the water you used to boil the vegetables)
1-1/2 milk (I used half skim/half whole)
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup cheese
3 oz. turkey bacon
- Peel and chop potatoes and carrots into chunks. Boil until soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut florets from cauliflower head. Place in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15 minutes or until tender. You do not need to add water to the cauliflower in the microwave.
- In a separate large saucepan on the stovetop, bring milk and water to just below a simmer. Add salt, pepper, and sage. Add cooked cauliflower to milk mixture.
- Pour milk and cauliflower mixture in a blender and puree in batches until smooth consistency is obtained.
- Pour puree back into large pot and add potatoes and sour cream. Stir until completely mixed.
- Serve with cheese, bacon, and chives.