Nov 1, 2011

Homemade Baked Onion Rings

The other day I had taste for onion rings, but generally speaking, they are battered and fried.  I came across this recipe from the Food Network.  I didn't want to buy baked potato chips or panko crumbs, so I modified it to make it frugal, delicious, and homemade!  Ben really liked them, even after I told him they were moderately healthy!
Baked Onion Rings 
Serves 3-4
Ingredients:
Cooking spray
4 cups bread crumbs (I used cheap hotdog buns, pulsed in the blender in small batches until large shards)
1 cup buttermilk (I added 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to 1 cup skim)
1/2 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt (I used Lawry's)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-2 large Vidalia onions

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.  
  • Divide bread crumbs evenly into two separate bowls. (The batter can make the bread crumbs wet and difficult to stick to the onions, so it's nice to have a fresh start halfway through.)  
  • In a third bowl, combine buttermilk, 2 T. flour, seasoning salt, and pepper.  
  • Slice onions into 1/2" slices, using only large whole rings.  I ended up with 13 rings. Chop the rest up and throw into the freezer to use later.  
  • Place the onion rings in a large bowl and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup flour, mixing carefully to completely coat the rings.  
  • Dip the rings individually in the buttermilk mixture, then into the bread crumbs.  Place on the greased cookie sheet.  
  • Before baking, spray the entire pan with another coat of cooking spray.  
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until coating is crisp and medium brown, turning over halfway.



3 lovely comments:

Jenna said... Best Blogger Tips

Love that they are baked not fried! I'm going to have to try this sometime. Thanks :-)

Phyllis Blickensderfer said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know how I missed that till now! What a wonderful way to do onion rings. That recipe is going into my Pepperplate.com list right now. (and, if you haven't looked into Pepperplate.com for saving recipes, I would suggest spending a few moments there. No, I don't own stock.)

As an 'aside' -- neither Beloved Husband or I particularly enjoy heels, so they are quickly pulsed into crumbs and kept in the freezer for quick additions to a variety of recipes.

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

@Grammy Blick
I think the "heels" must be an acquired taste, because none of us like them either. I save them all up in the freezer for breadcrumbs too!