Jan 26, 2012

Reading Goals for 2012

Growing up, I was a reading fiend.  Like...stay up all night and go to school on 3 hours of sleep reading fiend.  I gorged on books at a ridiculous rate.  Becoming a mother put an immediate and unnecessary stop to that.  I just didn't know how to squeeze reading time in.  Here's a few tips to get you back to your bookworm days.
  • Read in snippets -  I now try to read one chapter each morning after my quiet time in the Bible and prayer before the girls are awake.  One chapter only takes about 10 minutes or so.  The trouble is just to read one chapter and stop! 
  • Multi-task -  Read when your body, hands or feet are occupied, but your mind is not. I hate working out on my stationary bike, but if my mind is occupied, I don't mind at all.  I've been reading while I work out, and now I look forward to getting on my bike.  I also throw my current book in my purse or bag when we are going to drive somewhere, as I may get a few minutes to read.
  • Listen - Audio books are incredibly convenient.  I had a great time cleaning the kitchen and making Ben's lunch the other day while listening to The Five Love Languages.  Our local library system even has an digital audio book library, so I can check out, download, and listen to select titles right from home.

Here's my reading list for the year:

January - The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
                   Put More Cash In Your Pocket by Loral Langemeier


February - Honey for Your Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt
                      Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider
                    
March - The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller
                 The Help by Kathryn Stockett


April - The Ten Habits of Happy Mothers by Margaret Meeker
              Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy


May - Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian
             Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip Heath
       
June - Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo
            A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller


July - Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
           Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt


August - Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope by Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelley
                   Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Margaret Meeker


September - Practical Herbalism by Philip Fritchey
                       Crazy Love by Francis Chan


October - Gifted Hands by Ben Carson
                   The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace


November - The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
                        Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value by William Poundstone


December - Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
                      Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis

2 lovely comments:

April said... Best Blogger Tips

cute picture!!

TyKes Mom said... Best Blogger Tips

I have often thought about listening to more audio books. They are very convenient. Since becoming a mother, I barely read for pleasure anymore. I really need a plan to read more. Hopefully you can stick to your reading list! They look like great books! I loved Dr. Chapman's Five Love Languages.