May 15, 2012

Blackberry Freezer Jam

So you all know how I'm avoiding sugar and flour.  Which, by the way, I haven't been doing that great at it for the past week.  It started with a batch of irresistible almond cookie dough and continued with a fun-filled road trip to Michigan, and is currently being maintained by a spoonful of blackberry freezer jam.


The jam happened like this.  Giant Eagle had a grand opening for their new store down the road.  Grand opening = rock bottom loss leaders, no?  Of course.  Case in point: 6 oz. package of blackberries only $1.  Ben ran in for a couple things while the girls and I snoozed in the car.  I said, "Can you pick up a couple containers of blackberries?" Amazing man, he picked up 5. Isn't that sweet? I love him.

Last night after church, I popped in a DVD from the library called "Hoarders: Season 1".  I thought, "Oh, this sounds interesting.  I've heard people say it's a bit addicting."  OH MY WORD.  Let me just say, I have done nothing but clean all. day. long. today.  Disgusting show. The basic premise is they go into the homes of people who have a hoarding disorder and help them address their condition and clean up the symptoms of said condition in two days.  Perhaps I need to purchase this series whenever I lack cleaning motivation.

*shudder*

The first show highlighted Jill, a woman who has a food hoarding disorder.  I choked back my gag reflex a number of times in horrified amazement at the hideous conditions this troubled woman was living under.  Literally under.

So...why am I talking about blackberries and the Hoarders show in the same post?  Well, that trip to the grand opening was 2 weeks ago, and those blackberries were starting to shrivel. Shriveling is the closest I want to come to the conditions Jill was living in.  It was the last thought on my mind before I fell asleep and the first one when I woke up.  Blackberry freezer jam made it on my MIT (most important task) list today.  And judging by the spoon I licked unabashedly, it is delish.  I couldn't find a recipe for the exact proportion of blackberries I had, so I adjusted and winged it.  The one thing I really like about it is that the jam was thick, an absolute anomaly with freezer jam, which is notoriously soft-setting.



Blackberry Freezer Jam
Ingredients:
4 - 6 oz. clamshells blackberries (approximately 2 cups crushed)
3-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 box fruit pectin (Sure-Jell, Ball, Certo)
2 Tbsp. lime juice

Directions:
Crush the blackberries with a potato masher, about 1/2 cup at a time.  In a large bowl, combine the blackberries and sugar, and stir until well combined.  In a separate saucepan, dissolve the pectin in the water.  Bring to a boil.  Allow it to boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.  Add lime juice.  Pour pectin water over the blackberries/sugar and mix well.  Stir for about 3 minutes or until the sugar crystals are pretty much dissolved.  Immediately pour jam into freezer jars or jam jars.  If putting in the freezer, leave headspace for expansion.  Makes about 5-1/2 cups.


3 lovely comments:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said... Best Blogger Tips

A young newlywed walked into our home four years ago and was open about her view of our accumulation of items during our marriage. We can walk in our closets and across our rooms without tripping. But, we have accumulated too much stuff. About once a year we start clearing -- and it is time. However, I'm so glad you didn't clear out the blackberries!! That recipe is a keeper, isn't it?

Kari said... Best Blogger Tips

I only watch "Hoarders" to remind myself to clean every closet, cabinet, nook and cranny. Otherwise, I avoid it like the plague! Love your recipe! My children love all of the berries and I may just have to try making my own jam. Thanks so much for the inspiration...and the reminder: my pantry needs cleaning out.

Rebecca said... Best Blogger Tips

Sounds delicious! I made strawberry freezer jam a few summers ago and this is a reminder that I should try it again!