Apr 12, 2010

Giftable Garbage: Can Of Kisses



I love re-using things that we normally throw away!  I despise clutter, but I have been hanging on to these cans for a project.  I think I originally got the gist of the idea from FishMama, but I'm not postive on that.


What you need:
Tin can with tab-open lid (I am using Dole canned pineapple and tropical fruit.  You can also use Campbell's Select soup or Dole mandarin oranges.) 
scrapbook paper, paper bag, and/or wrapping paper
ribbon, yarn, raffia or jute
hot glue gun
plastic sandwich bags
Hershey's kisses or any goodies/snacks

First, using a can opener, open the can from the bottom, saving the bottom lid or leaving partially intact.  Leave the tab intact and unopened.  Empty the contents of the can and save for later or eat 'em up!
Wash and dry the can and lid.
Cut your paper of choice to the can's label size and hot glue to the can.


Next, cut the "flip-top" side of your sandwich bag so that the bag resembles a gift bag with slits on the sides.  Fill the baggie with your kisses and tie with a twistie or ribbon.


Put the kisses in the can upside down, so that the opening of the bag is towards the tab (top of the can).


Hot glue the bottom lid to the bottom of the can.  This takes patience, but it can be done.  You may need to do several rounds until you have a solid seal.  And yes, my lid is a little crooked. :)

 

I thought the can looked a little "blah-blah" at this point, but I figured a gift tag would spruce it up.  I wish I had some raffia because that would have been the perfect tie for these cans!


Better, but still not quite what I had hoped for.


I made this label in Microsoft Word using the Word Art feature.  I think the label definitely made it perfect.

I'm linking up to:

Making



Keeping It Simple

The Girl Creative




 

Sumo Sweet Stuff


6 lovely comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said... Best Blogger Tips

I really like this idea and can imagine using it for the holidays for hostess gifts. And I am sure children would really get a kick out of it. I like the idea of gluing the bottom on....thanks for getting my "wheels turning"!!

Kaysi said... Best Blogger Tips

Those are so cute, I love the saying on them!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

These are adorable! How cute! Here from Girl Creative

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

These are actually really cute! At first I thought...reusing cans? But they are really neat, because to the receiver, it looks like a sealed can, and full of a little treat! I like the tab-open ones especially. They would be adorable favors for a bridal shower in the real small tabbed fruit cans! --Andrea

Phyllis Blickensderfer said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm still catching up from our trip -- but this one post was worth going back to see what I missed. What a neat idea! This is going to be a fun project for a number of gift ideas, especially for my Secret Prayer Pal when we do it again this fall. So I won't forget, I'm starting a new folder for SPP Projects -- this is my first saver. Thanks!!

Kathirynne said... Best Blogger Tips

I made these as Valentine's Day gifts this year...they were super cute and very well received!

p.s. I liked this project so much that I linked this post in my blog.